First Presbyterian Church, Hillsboro, was organized in October of 1875, as “Hill County Presbyterian Church.” Their first building was erected in 1878 at 225 Elm Street, Hillsboro. This wood framed building served as home for the congregation until a new building was constructed in 1911.
At that time there were 2 Presbyterian Church’s in Hillsboro and 3 in Hill County – Central Presbyterian Church and Cumberland Presbyterian being the others. In 1906 Central and Cumberland united to become Liberty Temple Presbyterian Church. Then in 1937, Liberty Temple united with First Presbyterian Church. This congregation remained at 225 East Elm until they relocated to their present location in 1974.